Wednesday, November 7, 2012

A Musical Journey

Within the first four days of eating a normal amount of calories I gained 10 pounds! However, I'm glad to say that my body has now adjusted.

And on each of last two mornings I have been able to work out for a full 60 minutes. I'm definitely getting stronger and healthier. This only makes me hurt even more for those who will never experience the health and strength that we so take for granted.

This morning, the morning after a very divisive election, I went on a bit of musical and spiritual journey for the last 20 minutes of that workout. As I chose songs from my playlist, I found that each one gave me insights to God's truth.

Come along with me. Experience the journey for yourself.

The first song I listened to was "Trendy". This song always makes me think of my son because he introduced it to me many years ago.  It's all about our need to fit in.  


Be different!  Political parties have taken advantage of our desires to "belong".

Song number two original came from the move "Footloose" but the version I listened to this morning came from the movie "Shrek 2".


Up where the mountains meet the heavens above,
Out where the lightning splits the sea,
I could swear that there's someone somewhere watching me.

Through the wind and the chill and the rain
And the storm and the flood,
I can feel his approach like the fire in my blood.

We certainly do need a hero...but we aren't going to find him in any presidential election. Take heart. He is approaching.

The third song really got my attention. Although I've known this song for decades and even sing along with it, I had never thought much about the words.


Crazy, but that's how it goes--
millions of people living as foes.
Maybe it's not too late to learn how to love and forget how to hate.

I've listened to preachers,
I've listened to fools,
I've watched all the dropouts who make their own rules.
One person conditioned to rule and control...
the media sells it and you live the role.

Next time you hear that song before a sporting event, remember the message behind it: Man-made leaders will let us down. You cannot put your faith in any man/woman. But...maybe it's not to late to learn how to love and forget how to hate.

(By the way, I'm a firm believer that you need to listen to preachers, fools, dropouts, experts, failures, scientific geniuses, atheists, etc. That doesn't mean that you believe them all. But it certainly exercises your ability to discern the truth.)

Finally, an Aerosmith tune. Alright, alright...it was first recorded by a few British guys, but they are not included on MY iPod. :)


The lyrics of this song are about the members of that famous British band...and are extremely bizarre. The line that everyone remembers and can sing along is:

Come together right now over me.

But I can pull out some other lines from the song that also make me think of Jesus Christ:

He says, "I know you, you know me. 
One thing I can tell you is you got to be free."

Jesus Christ bought our freedom. All you have to do is know him...he already knows you.

He says, "One and one and one is three."

He only spoke the truth...the absolute truth that so many still today refuse to see.  And there IS absolute truth.

The only way we will ever come together is over God...Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.


No comments:

Post a Comment